Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Our Fourth Grade Curriculum for September

We are using the curriculum from The Little Garden Flower for fourth grade.  We did tweak it just a little, as I was reading the main story she has that runs through the whole curriculum it inspired me  to study the countries our Ancesters came from with Challee this year.  To read the legends and myths from these different countries. So September looks like this:

Local History for Geography & History : )
We live in Virginia in the Shenandoah Valley so I found the neatest book at the Library called
A Valley and a Song The Story of the Shenandoah River
Im also hoping to squeeze in The Blue Hill Meadows in also and maybe A Little Maid of Virginia : )
We will also go and visit some of the neat Historical Sites around the area for this month. Im really looking forward to it.
Science:
We will be studying animals
We are using Charles Kovacs The Human Being and the Animal World
I also found this wonderful article called On the Animal Teaching in the Fourth and Fifth classes by L. Francis Edmunds it was really helpful and I have shared some of his ideas to day in our study of the human form.
We are going to study the animals around our area first, and then the animals from each country we visit this year in our studies.
Math: 
I am going to be using mostly the Noble Knights of Knowledge math program and also the math curriculum from the Little Flower Garden.
Writing:
Im going to have Challee keep a journal and write summaries for each chapter she reads in her history books.
Handiwork:
We are going to be learning how to knit and crochet this coming semester.  I sent for the book about Mary Frances Learns to Knit and Crochet.  Im really looking forward to reading this with Challee.  Untill the book comes Im teaching her how to use the niffity knitting loom I have.  She decided to make a hat for Emma. : )
I still need to find a grammar program I might go ahead and use one I already have.
Im not sure if this will help any one but it give you an idea of how we will be doing fourth grade this year
Im going try and get the older boys schedule on here to and also my youngest son who is starting first grade this year.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We live just north of you, I suspect, as we are along the Shenandoah River in WV...about 20 minutes north of Leesburg, VA.

We're doing 4th & K with Melisa's materials this year!

Mary

Kristen said...

It looks like it's going to be a very good year!

It's so fun to see what you're kids are studying. :)